18 Aug Risk Assessment, Operation of Hypersaline Borefield, Mt Keith Operations, Goldfields, Western Australia
THIS IS AN HISTORICAL PROJECT
A semi-quantitative risk assessment was undertaken of the abstraction and
conveyance of hyper-saline (Total Dissolved Solids > 35,000mg/L) groundwater via an above-ground pipeline from a borefield, approximately 30km west of the minesite for process supply at the Mt Keith Nickel Mine in Western Australia. Historically, a number of spillages have occurred resulting in the release of hyper-saline water to the surface environment.
A review was undertaken of existing data regarding groundwater quality, flow rates and incidences of spillages from the 32km long above-ground pipeline.
The risk assessment examined the following elements:
- Identification and ranking of potential receptors
- Identification of likely modes and frequency of failure of the pipeline
- Assessment of apparent risk from failure
- Investigation of options for risk management
- Cost analysis of options
- Detailed appraisal of selected management strategies.
Hydrosolutions Pty Ltd